On Jul 20, 11:39 am, David Lynch <djly...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As I understand it, it's pretty much a collective of independent
> organizations, so giving to one station really only helps that station
> directly, but there's enough symbiotic relationships between stations
> that the others may help overall. Each station buys its programming
> from whoever commissions it, which is done by both PBS itself and
> local stations - you'll see a WGBH logo before/after "Nova" and
> "Antiques Roadshow", WNET on "Nature", KLRU on "Austin City Limits,"
> etc.

They have what's called a "Station Programming Cooperative" where
programming gets put up for licensing.  All of those shows get that
"Viewers Like You--Thank You" tag at the beginning and end of the
shows.  Anything that's totally funded by underwriters is free to all
stations.

Programming also comes from American Public Television and other
sources and syndicators.

The model for PBS is the original ITV commercial network in the UK,
which was a loose confederation of the commercial licensees and where
the individual licensess bought programming from the other licensees
and made co-op deals on movies and overseas programming, along with
funding the news division, ITN, which is technically separate from
ITV.  Other similarities were a core group of program suppliers (with
PBS, WNET, WGBH, WETA, WTTW, KCET, KQED, CTW/Sesame Workshop; for ITV,
Granada and licensees in London and the Midlands), wide variance in
programming schedules from market to market and (until 1988 in the UK,
mid-90s in the U.S.) running the station producer logos at the top of
the show (on ITV, the station logos would replace the local
licensee's, since the ID for the local licensee was provided by the on-
camera booth announcer before the show).  Now, although much of PBS
still follows the old ITV, the bulk of the ITV licenses are owned by
ITV (which is now the merged Carlton and Granada), the schedule is
virtually the same everywhere in the UK and instead of the on-camera
booth announcers, there's just one set of announcers in London and for
local programming (which is nowadays news and not much else) the
London announcers voice track for the individual stations.