On Jul 30, 12:20 pm, M-D November <mdnovem...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Maybe it's just me, but wasn't the point of calling their teen net
> "The N" that proper teenagers wouldn't want to watch Nickelodeon (a
> channel associated with animation like Spongebob and Dora) anymore?
> Couldn't emphasizing the Nick branding drive those kids away?

They've already had a TeenNick block (many of which shows are on the
N's schedule) for several years (it and the Nick Jr. block disappeared
earlier this year in preparation for the channel renames).  I've
always thought the N name was to distinguish it from Noggin, which
started out as "the thinking kids' channel" (to cover the original
educational mandate) and became pre-school when Sesame Workshop pulled
out (and took their library with them).

There was a blog page I saw earlier today that rightly said that MTV
Networks is losing their knack for keeping iconic logos going.  The
trademark of all of their logos was that they could be reshaped to fit
whatever was needed and the Nick logo was the prime example (I lost
track of how many different ways the logo was presented in its glory
years, which is bemoaned by the people who are not their target
audience these days in YouTube comments).  This to me was the charm of
the MTV Networks channels (and yes, you can say "charm" and "MTV" in
the same sentence) and the fact that they promoed like no one else.
Now, their presentation and promos seem to be just like everyone
else's, down to the split-screen generic credits, seamless transitions
(and TVL's odious practice of running the credits under the kicker
scenes and taking away our last hearing of the theme--is that "For the
TV Generation?" [and I'm sure they claim that running the credits this
way means either less time compression or more actual program, but it
seems to me that they get the shows pre-edited from the syndicator
anyway]).