On Aug 11, 3:45 am, "Kevin M." <drunkbastar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 12:58 AM, Dave Sikula<dsik...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> The airwaves used to belong to the public, but our government sold
> them to corporations. Even if we could somehow wrangle the airwaves
> back into a public trust, they're damaged goods. KFWB used to be a
> place to go to find out what was going on. Now, as another talk
> station, it'll be a place to go to find out what other people think
> about what other people think about what is theoretically though
> unsubstantiatedly going on. We'll get our fill of Jon & Kate, Michael
> Jackson's postmortem antics, and the octomom. And the zany morning
> crew will discuss the latest reject from "American Idol" or "So You
> Think You Can Dance." And in another five or ten years, the station
> will be shut down, just like all the others, due to lack of
> advertising revenue, due to lack of anybody listening. And station
> owners will not understand that if you provide a public service and do
> so in a unique and entertaining manner, people will sing your praises.
> If you feed the people nothing but audio gruel, they will revolt.

Actually, I don't think KFWB's going the celeb gossip route with
Ingraham, "Dr." Laura and Smerconish--they're going the hot political
talk, conservative-leaning talk route.  (They've also added "America's
Morning News with the Daily Moon--uh, Washington Times," hosted by Ann
Coulter wannabe Melanie Morgan, before the AM drive news block--they
may also do a talk show in afternoon drive instead of a news block.)
I would hope that the morning news block will be a hard news product
like the old KFWB, but we'll see.

It's not going to be Jon & Kate--it's going to be Obamacare, tea
parties, town halls, birth certificates and, from "Dr." Laura (who is
syndicating herself these days), the evils of "the homosexual
lifestyle."  Of course, that's pretty much what any AM talk radio that
isn't Air America, Stephanie Miller or Ed Schultz is anyway.