On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 9:34 AM, David Bruggeman <bru...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> King's Sunday morning program did not, at least to me, seem particularly
> committed to hard news, but was of a kind with most of what gets shown on
> cable news at that time - rotating talking heads.  I'm not persuaded he'll
> avoid that in his nightly effort.
>
> I see no way that Klein's quote can reflect a doubling down on straight
> news.

It does seem unlikely. This is more of a PR branding issue than a
commitment to straight news - since CNN is getting is butt kicked by
FOX/MSNBC, they want to presetn themselves as the voice in the middle.
But I guess just doing a news show doesn't seem to be enough of a
ratings grabber. Still, there is some relativity here, and the
announced program does sound better than many possible alternatives.

I think Kevin is a little extreme in his reaction (imagine that).
There is a place in a news program for opinion, and it is helpful to
get a real range of opinion (something, for all the opinion whoring
that goes on with cable news, something we really don't get). But
Kevin of course is right that cable news seems to have mistaken the
presentation of various opinions for the collection, verification,
integration and presentation of actual information.

Kevin is also right that the investment in personalities at the anchor
desk to the exclusion of reporters and producers in the field is a
huge problem. If Diane Sawyer were really smart she would negotiate
the biggest contract in the history of television news, then announce
that she was going to work for $500,000 a year (hey, a girl's got to
go to the hairdresser) and give back the remainder to fund additional
field operations. Sawyer is ideally suited to this since she is
probably the wealthiest person to ever have a major news anchor job.