FWIW, In what's essentially a 40-42 minute show, Ferguson splits the time
almost in half between guests and regular bits.  However, the act structure is
such that there's twice as many non-guest segments (cold open, monologue,
sketch/e-mail, close) and usually two conversation segments.  So you have
usually three segments and three commercial breaks before a guest shows up.  So
I can clearly see why you'd think the guests were jammed in.  You've watched
for half an hour and seen 60 percent of the commercials.

That said, I think the main difference compared to Letterman or Conan is the
additional commercial break in the front half of the show.  They'll usually
have a longer first segment and segue between the monologue and the first desk
chat/comedy bit.  Then their first break happens around the same time Ferguson
takes his second break, and the 11:30 folks come back with their comedy bit/Top
Ten List/I'm the new Oprah segment.

I've put too much thought into this...

So, if I were you, I'd probably warm up the DVR and skip the first half of
Ferguson.

David