On Dec 21, 11:37 am, "Pollak, Melissa F." <mpol...@nsf.gov> wrote:
> Queens of Comedy
> Q How many women are on Letterman's, Leno's, and Conan O'Brien's
> comedy-writing staffs?
>
> A Zero. And Jimmy Kimmel and Craig Ferguson each employ just one (in
> Ferguson's case, it's his sister). "My best guess is that it has some
> relationship to Newton's Law-an object in motion stays in motion,"
> veteran (female) comedy writer Merrill Markoe says. "It's a pernicious
> pattern that has set in over the years and needs to be interrupted
> somehow." A notable exception is the E! Network's Chelsea Handler
> [pictured], whose 10-person writing staff is half men and half women.

With at least one of Handler's writers sitting on the panel every
night, as well.  And they're all non-WGA members (most of 'em are
aspiring standups and I assume they do have AFTRA cards), although I
suspect that the writers who have a "story producer" credit instead of
"writer" are people who got WGA cards after being hired.  Seems to me
that E! wants to stay 100% outside-of-AFTRA non-union.