My guess is that someone in legal convinced them that it wasn't a
question of asking O'Brien as much as telling him he's going to 12:05.
I don't think NBC was far-sighted enough to imagine what this has
turned out to be. And I'd also guess that there was a group of
affiliates who were ready to announce their preemption plans which
further forced NBC's hand.

It's imperative that every time someone says anything about O'Brien
and his ratings, they be immediately reminded that this was not
because of O'Brien's ratings. It was because the affiliates were on
the verge of an outright revolt against Jay Leno's ratings. It's a
framing issue: as long as someone can distract from the Leno fact, his
group (and NBC) look more and more innocent. It's because Leno's
ratings were unacceptable and the affiliates were about to do
something en masse that this happened.

As for Barnhart's tune-change, I'll offer this partially in his
defense as well as everyone else who thought this wasn't a completely
bad idea at the time: Remember that every time someone brought up the
question as to whether The Jay Leno Show was going to just be The
Tonight Show at 10:00 pm ET, NBC et al swore up and down that it was
not. This was going to be something different. At that point, there
wasn't a real reason to doubt them, because the logical thought was
"Of course they're not going to just duplicate The Tonight Show." Of
course, we now know that logic has a personal protection order against
NBC, and that they discovered, as PGage has noted repeatedly, that
it's very hard to come up with five hours of pure comedy each week,
and it's much easier to do The Tonight Show Redux each night.