Well, I really enjoyed the interview...thought he was trying to get past the
usual questions I've seen him asked.  Clearly YMDV.

David

________________________________
From: PGage <pga...@gmail.com>

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 4:15 PM, Pollak, Melissa F. <mpol...@nsf.gov> wrote:
> Wasn't he just on Letterman?  I thought he made a terrible guest on that
> show.

He [Christoph Waltz] was on Dave recently, and he was terrible. It
seemed like he did not get the idea of a show like that. Dave was
actually unusually enthusiastic about the film (which is fabulous) and
his role in it (which is fabulous) and tried to engage him, but Waltz
just kept making short, smart assed replies. My memory is that Dave
said (two or three times) something like "Wow - you were really great
in that film - you really captured the creepy evil of being a Nazi!"
and Waltz kept repeating something like "no - not really" 0 then
finally went into a longish explanation that was too complicated and
esoteric for the room. Dave gives him one of his long looks, almost
plays it off and then says "OK - I don't know what that means, but
really, the Nazis were evil, and you were evil, and just really good
in the film" but you can tell Dave is thinking "see you after the next
World War asshole).