As a Bay Area resident, let me give my full endorsement to the
Alcatraz tour. The wife and I went a few years ago and it was
absolutely great. We've been meaning to go again and just haven't
gotten around to it.

We haven't been to the DeYoung Museum in Golden Gate Park, but
everyone raves about it. Similarly, I've been meaning to get to the
Disney Museum in the Presidio, too, but haven't gotten there yet. High
marks to the Asian Art Museum and SF MOMA, too.

Living in Pacifica, I'm prejudiced toward time spent at the coast. A
trip from, say, the Cliff House (a nice spot for a late afternoon
drink), down the Great Highway (which is temporarily closed at Skyline
Blvd.), then down the coast to Half Moon Bay -- or even Pescadero --
is a very nice drive. One way with no stops to HMB should be about an
hour, and there are some very nice places for lunch or dinner on the
way. (If you want specific names, let me know).

I haven't been to the Googleplex (for obvious reasons), but everyone
raves about it (I don't know if it's set up for civilians); our Yahoo
campus is nice, but not really worth a trip.

If the Giants are in town, an afternoon at the ballpark is nice -- IF
you're sitting between the bases; anywhere else has terrible
sightlines.

There are a million good restaurants in town (again, names available
if you need them),

The Union Square area is very nice, but is darn close to the
Tenderloin. Regardless, lots of good shopping and things to see.

I've never understood the appeal of either Chinatown or Fisherman's
Wharf, but people flock there. As far as I'm concerned, they're both
massive tourist traps. Some decent restaurants, but that's about it
for me.

North Beach and the Castro are nice, but impossible to park in, as are
many parts of the city -- Noe Valley. Cow Hollow, the Fillmore.

The Haight is another point of bafflement to me. Yes, there's history
there -- not to mention Amoeba Records (which is the only reason I go
there)  -- but it is littered with people who still think hippies
abound or who will try to aggressively panhandle you.

Other musts: Twin Peaks (you can't miss it; Mt. Sutro has the giant TV
tower that is visible from anywhere in town) has unparalleled view of
the city; take a walk across the Golden Gate. It's a great walk with
great views -- even if you can see the briny deep just below your
feet. I'd recommend the Marin Highlands, but they're closed right now.
The Saturday Farmer's Market at the Ferry Building.

Some good restaurants and shopping in Sausalito.

I'm sure there's a million things I'm leaving out, but if you have
specific questions, please ask..

--Dave Sikula