From: "Jay Lewis" <lew...@nbnet.nb.ca>
To: tvornottv@googlegroups.com
Sent: Friday, September 10, 2010 6:22:39 PM
Subject: Re: [TV orNotTV] PBS home improvement on caffeine?

On 9/10/2010 7:24 PM, Kevin M. wrote:

> Today I caught an episode of the most recent season of "This Old
> House" and "Hometime," two favorite shows of mine.

I didn't know HT was still on. I don't even know if either of my PBS
affils (KCTS & KCET) carries it. I'm pretty sure they do both carry The
TOH/ATOH Hour.

> It could be that I recently converted early seasons of both shows from
> VHS to DVD, and so the transition from the older to the newer felt
> more jarring to me.

How old were they? Peggy Knapp old?

>  And "Hometime" felt even
> stranger because the episode I watched featured a return by former
> co-host JoAnne Liebeler as she, Dean Johnson, and his newer, younger
> wife whipped through a garage renovation in minutes.

I think Jojo did an episode with wife #3 (Robin Hartl). Dean is up
to...wife #5. Is the guy Mormon or something?

> The hour of TV watching made me feel old. I was an admittedly dorky
> kid who watched these shows in the '80s,

I too watched and enjoyed the old eps of all those shows. What I noticed
is that they went from "simple" projects to these huge grandiose plans.

HT used to do 10 or so projects a season (stripping furniture, building
a deck (2 or 3 eps)) then they started building million dollar cottages.
TOH went down the same path. I used to wonder if that was any help to
the regular joe but how many ways/times can you talk about sanding &
refinishing your hardwood floors.
--
QWIZX.com - A little bit of everything