I have been meaning for a while now to watch Kevin Pollak's Showtime Comedy
Special. I have followed his Podcast Chatshow pretty closely (where he pumps
the special relentlessly - and yes, it is out on DVD) and wanted to see him
do a full stand up routine. For some reason I never got around to actually
recording it, and then last night I accidentally noticed it was airing over
night, so I tagged it for recording and watched it tonight after the Sunday
Night Football game.

Even though it feels like I have been familiar with Pollak's comedy for a
long time, when it comes down to it I realize I have only ever seen him do
the short form 5 minutes or so on late night television - never an entire
act. He actually sounds different when he is doing the real act - his voice
is less distinctive and ethnic sounding (yes, I used that phrase) - I am
wondering if he intentionally makes his baseline voice more bland so his
impressions will stand out more? He is obviously a professional comedian. On
his podcast he often refers to a stand-up set as "taking the audience on a
journey of *my* choosing", and one can tell that he enjoys doing that. Even
the bits that he often repeats on his podcast more informally and
conversationally (the Larry King game, the anecdotes about his movies) come
out smoother, more polished and, I guess, more funny in his act, where he
does not have to fight with the person he is interviewing for space and
pacing, and where he is in total control. I like his impressions - first
many of them are actually pretty good, but more importantly he gets most of
his laughs from playing with the underlying attitude and stance of the
people he impersonates, and from telling anecdotes about doing impressions
of famous people in front of famous people. He didn't use it in his Showtime
special, but in his chatshow he has a couple of times told a story about
doing Columbo when he walked in on some famous person in a dressing room
that is really funny. And I always laugh when he does Shatner and Walkin. He
is also smart enough to do somewhat unusual impressions - his best one in
the show is of Jason Statham. First he announces he is going to do it, then
he slips it in just as you are wondering if you would recognize the voice,
and you realize that you will, and that he has nailed it, and the whole
thing makes you smile.

However, while competent and funny, I realized that as a comedian Pollak is
only just a journeyman. He often says that he rose to the top of the comedy
circles in San Francisco, and then moved to L.A. and found he was back in
the middle of the pack. It seems to me that if stand up was all he had, he
would still be in the middle of the pack of professional stand up comedians,
no doubt with a nice following and career, but not different from any of a
dozen other competent stand-ups, many of whom he has had on his show. His
decision to get into acting, and along the way nab roles in some attention
grabbing big films, has greatly enhanced the perceived level of his stand-up
career.  He is not one of the top rank stand up comedians that just grab you
and make you laugh till it hurts with their silliness or outrageousness or
subversiveness or anger or intelligence. Whoever you might put in that top
rank (Pryor, Cosby, Carlin, Martin, Seinfeld, Rock, whoever) KP is not one
of them, even though his name is better known than a lot of his peers at the
next rank down.

I also realize that "Showtime Comedy Special" does not seem to have the same
cache as "HBO Comedy Special". I did a quick google but could not find a
list of either "Showtime" or "HBO" Comedy Specials to confirm what seems to
me the common impression that HBO is a more elite cable gig. Still, Showtime
must be better than the Comedy channel (though Pollak used fewer bad words
than he does on his podcast, and probably could have done it on basic
cable).