On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 4:24 PM, PGage <pga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> $12 Million
>
> http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/09/14/jennifer-lopezs-american-idol-12-million-judge/
>
> I am not an American Idol expert, but I think this makes a lot of sense for
> them. She is hotter than Abdul, more talented, and more of a Diva, but still
> in that blush off the rose phase of her career. What I don't understand is
> all the smart money of Steven Tyler. I have never been a fan, but more than
> that his branch of music seems to be a little off the AI sweet spot. Harry
> Connick seems like a much better choice to me, both in terms of his kind of
> music, but also just how interesting and effective he was as a coach last
> year.

Well, it seems that Steven Tyler's position at Idol has destroyed the
already fractious union with the rest of Aerosmith. As for Lopez, at
least she can form a sentence without sounding like a dullard, but
(like Abdul) her training/background is in dance, not music. My
problems with Simon Cowell are myriad, but he was known as having an
ear for judging talent. I disagreed with his judgments, his
condescending attitude, his overall demeanor, and his hair, but the
masses ate it all up. From what little I saw of the show (whenever my
mom and sister forced me), the other judges talked about what they
liked, but Simon talked about what was marketable. They no longer have
someone on the panel capable of doing that. What they need in order to
have any sense of credibility as an idol creator is a Clive Davis or a
David Geffen, but the producers never seemed to think so, and the one
music mogul I've actually met socially turned down Idol when it first
came to the US, so I doubt he'd even be approached again.