>From the sixteenth edition of the Chicago Manual of Style:

Doug Fields
Tampa, FL

-----Original Message-----
From: tvornottv@googlegroups.com [mailto:tvorno...@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of Kevin M.
Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2010 2:03 AM
To: tvornottv@googlegroups.com
Subject: [TV orNotTV] OT: Bushes, Bush's, or Bushs

This is popping up in blog after blog and dozens of news stories, but I'm
having trouble pinning down the correct grammatical form. I asked on my
Facebook and a few people have weighed in (including Ed from this list --
thanks, Ed). I thought I'd throw it open to the braintrust at large and see
what everyone thinks.

When referencing the Bush family, would I write "The Bushes are
blue-bloods," "The Bush's are blue-bloods," or "The Bushs are blue-bloods"?
An article I just read used the apostrophe and I don't believe that is
accurate. I believe the last option "The Bushs" is the correct one, but it
is tough to Google the concept of a collective proper noun which happens to
be the same as an irregular noun.

Does the rule of adding -es to make a noun ending in H plural apply to the
names of people? I don't believe it does, but I can't find clarification one
way or the other. I see so many Russian names like Ivanovich or Petravich,
and adding -es to them doesn't seem right. But I don't know.