Here's how incestuous this really is:

Last year, the Allman Brothers Band, which for over twenty years plays
an annual multi-night gig at the Beacon Theater had to detour to the
uptown (175th St) United Palace Theater (Rev. Ike's church by day/
playhouse by night) because Cirque du Soleil booked a multi-month
vaudevillian show called 'Banana Schpeel' at their traditional NY
home, the Beacon Theater. The concerts were ill-received not only due
to being a new venue, but one that was 100 blocks (and a different
nabe) away. The Cirque show, likewise bombed, closing after six weeks
(2 months less than it's scheduled run).Said the NY Times, “Banana
Shpeel” will go down as one of the most frustrating failures in
Cirque’s history."

The Tony's called Radio City Music Hall home for the last 13 years,
It's a 6,000 seat showcase big enough to hold the producers (some
shows have hundreds of them) actors, guests, dignitaries, plus a slice
of the public and located at the edge of the Theater District. But,
there's those pesky Cirque folks again, with "Zarkana" -- another
attempt at a non-Grand Chapiteau (Big Top) production booked for an
extended run (I'm seeing it in July).

What to do with Broadway's biggest night? Believe it or not, early
discussions mentioned the same United Palace Theater but wiser heads
prevailed and the Beacon Theater was booked. At 2,864 seats it is less
than half the size of Radio City, so for sure there'll be some people
expecting to attend who'll be left out.

So, where's the inbreeding? Well, CBS owns the broadcast rights, but
good old Cablevision, Dolan & Son's money-monopoly that has held much
of NY and NJ under its thumb for years before SBS came into play, owns
Radio City Music Hall; the Beacon Theater; and has an equity stake in
Cirque's 'Zarkana'. I have to think that content owners who are also
broadcast distributors and live venue owners are a recessive gene's
playground.

Ron Casalotti
Wayne, NJ

P.S. - hough not a traditional Broadway house, the Beacon Theater is
at least located on Broadway (at 74th St) so there's a bit of logic to
having it there.