On Monday, June 27, 2011 8:56:03 PM UTC-4, K.M. Richards wrote:

> The Ellery Queen series with Jim Hutton ran in the 1975-76 season and
> was the lead-in to Mystery Movie during its last nine months (Ellery
> 8:00-9:00, Mystery Movie 9:00-11:00).  As MM had gone to two-hour
> episodes beginning with the previous season, perhaps NBC and Universal
> felt trying to do Ellery in that length would have been excessive?
>
> The original two-hour pilot for Ellery Queen aired as a special episode of
the Sunday Mystery Movie in the spring of 1975. On the Ellery Queen DVD set,
the version of the pilot used is a syndication copy, retitled "Too Many
Suspects," in which the series' regular theme song (by Elmer Bernstein) is
replaced by the soundtrack of the standard Mystery Movie opening credits:
the Mystery Movie theme (by Henry Mancini), complete with Hank Sims
announcing "tonight, a special Mystery Movie presentation..."

The failed 1971 pilot movie, "Ellery Queen: Don't Look Behind You," starring
Peter Lawford and Harry Morgan, was intended as a pilot for the original
lineup of the Mystery Movie. According to a poster on the IMDB, NBC almost
picked Ellery Queen over McMillan and Wife for the third spoke of the wheel.

In his interview segment on the DVD set, William Link says that the 1971
pilot failed because it was filmed while he and Richard Levinson were in
Europe, and creative control was taken away from them. (I remember seeing
part of the 1971 pilot on TV in the eighties... I really wish it had been
included on the DVD for comparison.)

-Tim