On Jun 27, 7:19 pm, PGage <pga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 3:47 PM, Mark J. <mjeffr...@marcrealty.com> wrote:
> > CBS Distribution, who syndicated Oprah for all 25 years (as its
> > predecessor KingWorld), has signed the "Survivor" host/showrunner (and
> > frequent fill-in for Regis and Larry King) for a strip talk show to
> > start Sept. 2012 focusing on newsmakers and family issues (dear God,
> > let's hope he doesn't join Maury in the paternity test dodge):
>
> >http://www.deadline.com/2011/06/jeff-probst-inks-for-syndicated-talk-...
>
> > So now it's Anderson Cooper (who starts in September), Katie Couric
> > and Probst--who else is a contestant on "Who Wants to Be the Next
> > Daytime Talk Franchise?"
>
> I am only recently getting hip to how these day time talk shows work. CBS
> produced Oprah, but it appeared mostly on ABC stations. Katie has signed to
> do a talk show that will appear mostly on ABC stations. Will the Probst show
> also appear on ABC stations, in more of a support role to Katie, or will it
> appear on competing stations in direct conflict?

I'm guessing CBS-owned stations.  Katie's already theoretically taking
the Oprah slot on the ABC-owned stations, although I'm wondering if
Sony will take "Millionaire" away from ABC-Disney whenever their
contract runs out--and if WLS sticks with its local "Windy City Live"
show in the morning (the official Chicago Oprah replacement), I'm
suspecting that they will have to cast off "Inside Edition," cut back
news a half-hour and put "Jeopardy!" at 6 p.m. next year.  (In
Chicago, "Millionaire" is on WGN because WLS has no room for it.)  On
the other hand, in Chicago WBBM quadruple pumps "Judge Judy" every
weekday, so it would seem to me that they would have room for Probst
(although they let CBS' "The Doctors" and "The Insider" go to pure
indie WCIU and let WCIU share "Dr. Phil" with them).  However, WBBM
has made so many dubious programming decisions in the last 20 years,
I'm not surprised by anything they do (and they better thank Les and
Nina every day for giving them the prime time lineup that they give
them, because otherwise they'd be in real trouble.)