Well, our eMachines lasted just over four years. (I introduced it at
http://goo.gl/udELH)

I finally got the opportunity to change the thermal compound on the
CPU fan/heatsink assembly, but after I re-latched it to the frame
around the processor (it has a lever-and-hook with two hooks) and
tried to restart the machine, the frame cracked loose and the whole
shebang dropped to the bottom of the case, cracking off almost half
the wings of the fan and scattering four screws that looked like they
were holding the frame.

I couldn't sleep; it's like you've lost a member of the family.

I still would like to know how that hucking frame attached to the
motherboard, and so does Dad.

He was understandably p!ssed, tho not to the point of wanting to bust
my head open. Part of him, of course, wants to blame me, but I don't
know that things would have been any different had I left the shards
of the fan and the screws inside the case with the service door
closed.

We went to a BBY and got -- isn't life strange -- another Compaq. I'm
guessing it runs Win7. It might have a T-byte hard drive (six times
what the e had)

Now we need to figure out how to transfer stuff from the old drive to
the new; part of me wants to ask Dad's ISP, who also sells and repairs
PCs, to help.

--
a very depressed BOB