What seems to be the case is (and I'm inferring this from multiple
conversations with a handful of Google engineers) Google Groups has no
tech support personnel dedicated towards maintaining it. They also
have no way for users to directly contact Google when there are
issues. As a result, my method of knowing someone who knows someone is
frankly the only way anything is going to happen, and it will only
happen in slow increments.