If Savannah fails, she becomes Deborah Norville redux and they make another
move. But if she succeeds, then they are back on track -- a track they
derailed from as far back as the Meredith Vieira hire. Don't get me wrong,
Vieira was(is) a great host and very well qualified, but back when Katie
left the time was right for Matt to play the Mentor and groom the next
Katie -- not share the spotlight. Had they done that, Matt wouldn't have
all the leverage in the recent contract negotiations as by now the mentee
would be ready to be the mentor to the next male host.

Savannah can be fed just the right amount of involvement as she grows into
the role. As for Curry, just because Matt went from newsreader to host
doesn't mean anyone else in that role should expect to follow suit,
regardless of how many years on the show. Curry wasn't the right choice
then just as Natalie Morales wasn't the right choice now.so I give credit
to Capus at least for making a logical choice.

Finally, Hoda Kotb would not have been the right choice either. Not that
she couldn't do the job today, but because she'd likely leave (or be forced
out) before whomever is Matt's replacement would be ready to take on the
senior role.

Ron Casalotti
Wayne, NJ