Without knowing what type of DVR you have, I can only relate this to my own
TiVo, which gets its listings data from the Tribune Company, meaning
Zap2It.com reflects the same data.

Checking their online site's Olympics coverage, it is exactly as you
stated.  The schedule shows a block of time with a list of what sports are
likely to be covered within that block of time.  As an example, the 4:00am
to 2:00pm (PT) block on MSNBC for Sunday lists "From London. Soccer, men's:
Brazil vs. Belarus, Senegal vs. Uruguay, Great Britain vs. United Arab
Emirates; volleyball, men's: Russia vs. Germany, Italy vs. Poland; water
polo, men's: Hungary vs. Serbia; handball; table tennis; badminton."

All the listings are in that format.  I suspect NBC is just sending a list
of events they expect to cover at some point within that block on that
channel, and they aren't being more specific because (as we all know)
sporting events do not tend to adhere to nice orderly time slots.

And, like my "neighbor" Jim Ellwanger (he lives only about five miles from
me) I don't recall the Olympics being listed differently in the past,
either electronically or in that archaic print magazine TV Guide.  (That
last part is for Jim to chuckle at, as he has a nice collection of that
magazine from when it was actually useful.)