>From a British perspective, I think Christopher Eccleston would have
previously been the biggest "name" when he got the part. A "serious" actor
who was a well-known and well-regarded face. I'm not sure I'd agree about
Colin Baker. While I was only 14 when he got the part, I'm not sure that
even today I could really tell you a great deal else he'd been in. Whereas
Peter Davison, his predecessor, had been in All Creatures Great and Small -
a massively successful BBC1 series at the time.

Anyway, I don't doubt that Capaldi will be tremendous. For those who fancy
hunting out stuff he's been in before, here are some of my favourites. I
suspect that they won't all be easy to find - particularly on Region 1 DVD
- but worth looking out.

Local Hero - he was very young in this, but you'll know him in it. Just a
wonderful film anyway if you've never seen it.
Neverwhere - the Neil Gaiman series (perhaps interesting because of the HBO
American Gods we have coming soon). Radio fans should search out the
all-star recent BBC Radio 4 version too.
The Crow Road - a real Scottish series, and based on a novel by the late,
and much lamented Iain (M) Banks. You may be struggling to find this.
Getting On - there's a US remake of this coming soon, but the original is
brilliant writing. He pops up a couple of times.
The Hour - I was sad that this didn't get a third series

And of course, The Thick of It. But that goes without saying.

Adam