I'm not usually the type to copy-and-paste, but O'Connor has been
excerpting a new book on "This Old House" across social media, so I'll
help promote the book by sharing his thoughts on the show's creator,
because they speak to a level of professional respect one can have for
someone who might not be likable, or who might not like you. I saw it
in Hollywood, experienced it personally more than once, and a fellow
Kevin succinctly describes it very well:

Russ has been a good friend to me – sort of. He stopped by my house
while I was renovating it and quickly pointed out that my amateurish
ways were, well, ruining the place. He handed me a redesigned floor
plan that he drew on a napkin, then left. I showed up once for filming
with a fresh haircut; he said I looked like an idiot. Over the years
he has told me my tools are for weenies and not for real carpenters,
told me that press interviews I’ve done show me in a poor light,
warned me away from shilling for products, lamented my lack of
training – and screamed at me on plenty of occasions.

But Russ is retired now and I miss him – sort of. I still visit him at
his house despite his old critiques and his fresh warnings to “wear
Kevlar” when I come. We sit and have coffee and he berates me. Why do
I go? Because, without a shadow of a doubt, Russ knows what he’s
talking about. His legacy is long and widely known. He is considered
“the father of how-to television” for his work launching such shows as
The French Chef, This Old House, Ask This Old House, The New Yankee
Workshop, and The Victory Garden. (He has other accomplishments too
but if I list them all here what will we talk about over our next
coffee?)

Mostly I go to learn from a man I respect, immensely. Russ may be
retired but he is still our standard bearer and he continues to demand
a great deal from the people who work on the programs he created. He
observes and critiques and delivers his opinions with unfiltered
candor, and I am glad to hear it. So, I’ll continue to go see Russ and
take my beatings. And I’m happy to do it . . . sort of.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=276950945776065&set=a.204800112991149.48129.160773990727095&type=1