I must admit that I'd get much more excited about a period Marlowe set in
LA of the thirties or forties. Yes it'd be much more expensive, but it
could look gorgeous. 13 episodes rather than 24 as a limited series. I
guess only premium cable tries period dramas properly these days.

Indeed go nuts - shoot it in black and white! What was the last TV series
shot that way? There's the odd episode here and there - and I'm thinking
back to Moonlighting. Or how about putting a black and white version on
your website or in a Saturday re-run?

Adam (who'd clearly never make it as a television exec)

PS Off-topic, but I saw the upcoming film Nebraska in the London Film
Festival recently. It looks gorgeous in black and white. However director
Alexander Payne admitted that he was forced to make it on a lower budget
because of that creative decision.