On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 1:52 PM, PGage <pga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 10:46 AM, Tom Wolper <twol...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Dec 19, 2014 at 12:17 PM, PGage <pga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Somebody failed here, but not sure it was Banzhaf.
>>>
>>> "the FCC said Redskins doesn’t fit definitions for obscene or profane
>>> words because it isn’t sexual or excretory in nature."
>>>
>>> So, I guess the "Washington Motherfuckers" (a name which no doubt would
>>> be chosen to honor those who love their mothers) and the "Washington
>>> Pants-Shitters" would not be acceptable, but the "Washington Niggers" or
>>> "Washington Kikes" would be just fine.
>>>

>> By the rules the FCC got from Congress that's right. If you complain to
>> the FCC they'll tell you that those are the rules they work under and if
>> you're not happy convince Congress to give them new rules.
>>

> And yet, if there was an NFL team called the Washington Kikes, I suspect
> most television stations would not say it very often over their air.
>
> As I say, somebody has failed here, but I am not sure it was Banzhaf...

Banzhaf probably has a longer term strategy. The first and most obvious
step is to get a ruling from the FCC and he has done that. I doubt he was
surprised by the ruling and he's going to move on to his next steps.

Since the FCC is being asked to suppress speech we want them to have
guidelines that are specific as possible. Asking them to suppress based on
perceived offensiveness is just too vague.

Trying to come up with an analogous offensive nickname doesn't work because
Washington has had that nickname for decades without a major challenge. If
they went to change it to another slur they would be stopped by the NFL and
the team's  advertisers/local business community long before it got to the
FCC. The day will come when Washington will change the name of their team
since the problems with the name will not disappear even if the current
pressure abates.