On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 9:54 PM, M-D November <mdnovem...@gmail.com> wrote:

> SiriusXM aired a special on ALW's career earlier this month; in the
> special, he talks about how JCS was really meant to be more of a rock-opera
> concept album, similar to The Who's "Tommy", which is why the show has no
> book scenes and the show essentially lurches from song to song in a
> somewhat indelicate manner. He also managed to work out a very cagy deal
> with the music publishers of the day that allowed him to retain the grand
> rights
> <https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjKlbvs3cfaAhUSvVkKHdpzAPwQFggrMAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FGrand_rights&usg=AOvVaw2JFkLVp9vRPJRbvck1ORoS>
> for his works.
>
> As for the studio cast on the concept album, Jesus was performed by Ian
> Gillian, the lead singer for Deep Purple, and Judas was Murray "One Night
> In Bangkok" Head.  So I wouldn't say the cast was lacking for musical
> bonafides.

Back in my teenage years in the seventies Tommy is one of the few albums I
listened to more than JCS and in my recent listening I get the echoes of
Tommy.

Deep Purple was another group I listened to over and over and I got to know
Ian Gillan's work intimately. It's one of my regrets that I did not go to
see them live back in the day. Listening to the JCS album I can tell that
Gillan's not giving it his all like he did for Deep Purple. It could be
that he did not take the project as seriously as he did his work for Deep
Purple or he may have been instructed to restrain his voice for JCS.

While I remember hearing songs from Chess on the radio back in the day and
One Night in Bangkok repeatedly, i associate Murray Head with the 1971 film
Sunday Bloody Sunday.