On Sun, Oct 4, 2020 at 5:12 PM Steve Timko <steveti...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, the Louise Lasser episode is on there. I watched part way through her
> opening monologue. She jokes she can't say if it's going to be a great show
> because she doesn't know. She says she doesn't know why Lorne asked to be
> on the show because she can't tell jokes and isn't an orator. She said
> Lorne told her to just wing it. I got to where she tells an anecdote about
> going to lunch with her goof friend, Jack Nicholson, and turned it off.

I think of early SNL as being more like an indie film than a variety
series. It was clear in the first season that Lorne and the writers didn't
have an idea of what the show should be and who would be good guest hosts
and acts. First season shows are a mix of what was left of the sixties
counterculture, the mid-seventies New York sensibility, and rock era cool.
And then about halfway through the season the cast became rock stars and
they began to talk about their new circumstances on the show.

The Lasser episode came from before the show hit its stride. The producers
let her shape a lot of the show and it's different from other episodes.