Over the last 15 or so years, showrunners started confusing nonlinear
storytelling with being creative. But instead of appearing creative, it
only calls attention to their inability to make me care about characters
without throwing them into a jackpot somewhere in their future. In the ‘70s
and ‘80s, shows would frequently begin with a 30 second preview, i.e.
“Tonight on Spenser For Hire”, showing that episode’s chases and
shoot-outs, but that was more of a commercial and not part of the show’s
narrative. I’d frankly prefer that to this new form of disjointed, even
fractured television episodes.

Kevin M. (RPCV)