I was about to write up a description when I remembered this thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/twitter-development-talk/msg/565313d7b36e8d65

Thanks;
  — Matt / @mzsanford

On Jan 12, 2009, at 10:36 AM, dougw wrote:

How does search do it?

On Jan 12, 12:29 pm, Matt Sanford <m...@twitter.com> wrote:
Hello there,

For this to work we would need to support specifying the language of a status. There is a Google Code issue for that feature [1] so this
enhancement would be blocked on that.

Thanks;
   — Matt Sanford / @mzsanford

[1] -http://code.google.com/p/twitter-api/issues/detail?id=212