The reason why we can provide the list of IDs without any pagination is that it comes directly from our denormalized list data store, and requires no joining, either in SQL or at the application layer. As soon as we pull in data like screen_name that's sitting elsewhere in our architecture, the response time slows down drastically.

So while I do understand that it'd be more convenient, my hunch is that the quality of service for such a method would be intolerable.

dougw wrote:
For all those wanting id AND username attributes to be returned with
these new methods, be sure to head over to
http://code.google.com/p/twitter-api/issues/detail?id=265 and vote
(click the star) to signal your support.

@dougw