How disruptive - and not in the "good way", for the most part.

For example, I've recently been developing a link shortening platform
with some unique aspects (similar to Twitter annotations). Here is a
mashup that leverages my platform in conjunction with Twitter:
http://mvtweets.com/tweetmap. Just like Twitter intends, I parse
shortened URL's to display a truncated destination domain (or a
TwitPic thumbnail, or a YouTube embed), but the href in the anchor tag
is the shortened mv2.me link, so the click-through can be tracked.

Part of the data feeding this map-mashup comes from the @mvtweets
Twitter account. Another part comes from the mv2.me platform and API,
which provides the calendar and GPS metadata. Now I'll have to rewrite
it to accommodate the new link wrapping scenario. Will we be seeing
changes to the data Twitter API returns, so that the task of adjusting
our code is made easier? And will I have to make the hrefs all t.co's?
The line is very unclear to me - I'm using a whole bunch of API's
mashed together, 3rd party and my own - why should I have to make
analyzing my map's click-throughs more difficult for myself?

I fear innovations such as the one I have shared with you above will
be fewer and farther in between due to such policy changes. We will
soon be seeing how fragile the Twitter ecosystem can be.

(on a side note, regarding my map: isn't it funny how Chrome, Google's
browser, is the one technology that can't seem to handle Google's
YouTube technology ebmedded inside Google's map technology? sorry
Chrome users!)