From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Rob Sobers
Sent: 14 July 2011 02:26
To: U2 Users List
Subject: Re: [U2] Why Pick U2 ?

I have to heartily disagree that U2 has a sophisticated business rules
engine.  U2 Basic is such a limited language.  It barely has functions, and
you have to home brew almost everything.

Microsoft's T-SQL stored procedures are just as horrible to write as U2
Basic programs.  As Jeff Atwood put it -- "Stored procedures should be
considered database assembly language." [1] Why do you think Microsoft now
allows you to call CLR code from stored procedures?  Because it's so much
more efficient to work with the data (i.e., enforce the business rules) in a
modern language like C# that has *actual libraries* for doing useful things.

I agree that business rules shouldn't be on the client -- but who says they
have to be in the database?  Look at the ever-so-popular MVC architecture.
 The models (i.e., the code that works with the database and enforces all of
the business rules) are isolated from the views (i.e., the
client/presentation code) entirely.

-Rob

[1]:
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2004/10/who-needs-stored-procedures-anyways