Dear Prof. Zadeh,

Thanks for your reply. As I understand it, your position is that all of our
perceptions are partial, or exist in degrees, and as our experience is
entirely based on our perceptions, partiality is a fundamental part of human
cognition. Nothing ever fully exemplifies what it is (or what we are calling
it), but rather only exemplifies it to some degree, or partially. No one is
ever "truly" honest, but rather people are honest (we perceive them as
honest) to varying degrees. In fact honesty itself only exists as a sort of
continuum, where things are more honest and less honest. Knowledge is based
on perception, and perception is always partial.

It seems to me that this view underplays the role of judgement in human
congnition. One could argue that people are naturally _classifiers_, and
that their natural cognitive response to perception is to categorize it. One
never has a perception that someone is 0.1 tall on a scale of 0 to 1. We
have perceptions of the person being tall or short in particular instances
when we became conscious of the person's height because it was an issue in
the situation. The person was too tall or too short for something and they
were classified as tall or short in that instance. My total perception of
the degree of tallness of the person is an average of these different
classifications at different times, but ultimately it is based on
classifications and judgements, of actual applications of concepts rather
than the experience of degrees of them. Perception of degree follows
perception of existence.

Likewise with honesty, if you asked me to gauge a person's honesty, and I
know something about them but have no preconception of their honesty based
on personal experience with them, then I might consider various moral
dilemma-type situations and try to predict whether the person would act
honestly or not. In this case, I am assigning a likelihood to the person
doing the honest thing in each case, and my final judgement of the degree of
honesty is based on the average of those considerations weighted by the
gravity of the particular situations. I don't perceive degrees of honesty. I
perceive particular instances, which I classify as honest or dishonest.
Macroscopically I determine a degree of honesty based on the microscopic
instances of bivalent decisions, or the application of a concept or not.

I think it is interesting to consider the quantum mechanical model.
Previously, a continuum of matter and energy seemed self-evident, but it
turns out that things acually exist in discrete states (or we can only
perceive them as such), and there is a sharp jump from one state to the
next, not a smooth continuous transition. However, the most useful model for
describing the state of things with incomplete knowledge is in terms of a
_distribution_ (wave equation). We imagine things "existing" as
distributions prior to observation, and their future being conditioned on
what was observed. But what is primary is the thing that happened, and this
is all we need to make metaphysical reference to. The rest is a model that
aids in the prediction of what will happen in observation.

Actually, I don't want to argue _against_ partiality and degree. I believe
your ideas concerning partiality and your work on partial knowledge and
reasoning under uncertainty are valuable and useful, as is obvious from
their impact on science. I only take issue with the emphasis on partiality
and degree almost to the exclusion of discrete categorization in epistemics.
You argue that perception is fundamentally continuous and that the discrete
states that we think we observe are really only points in a more general
continuum of perception, in short, that perception is prior to cognition. I
believe that we are only aware of perception to the extent that it has been
cognized, and that cognition is more fundamentally characterized by discrete
classifications and decisions, with perception of degree being secondary,
i.e. cognition is prior to perception.

Kind regards,
Jason