On Tue, 2007-08-14 at 15:42 -0400, Dinbandhu wrote:
[...]
> I just downloaded this, and it is strange but none of the amendments
> were functioning. It is just as it was. I do not know whether I may have
> downloaded the wrong version somehow. I cannot simply cut and paste from
> the address you gave, because as you had explained earlier, cutting and
> pasting from the file hi-baraha.mim opened in my browser window changes
> Unicode (UTF-8) characters to ISO-8859-1.
[...]

This is strange, as I see nothing wrong in the steps you used for
downloading the file. Did you remember to copy the new version to
/usr/share/m17n, and restart SCIM? I have now uploaded the latest
version, which should fix all reported bugs to
http://oriya.sarovar.org/download/hi-baraha.mim . Just to make sure,
I downloaded, and rechecked the version on the web.

Can we make sure that we are following the same steps, namely:
1. Download the file:
     wget http://oriya.sarovar.org/download/hi-baraha.mim
2. Copy it to /usr/share/m17n, i.e., from a terminal, type
     sudo cp hi-baraha.mim /usr/share/m17n
   Enter your password at the prompt
3. Restart SCIM, i.e., log out, and back in.
4. Not sure what application you are using to test the keymap, but gedit
   works. Start it from a terminal by typing
     gedit &
   or from the main menu, choose Applications > Accessories >
   Text Editor. Right-click in the gedit window, and choose
   Input Methods > SCIM Input Method. The SCIM window should now come
   up, usually at the upper right of your screen (if you start SCIM when
   you log in, it might already have been up). In the SCIM window, click
   where it says "English/Keyboard", and from the pop-up menu choose
   Hindi > M17N-hi-baraha. Now you can start typing in the gedit window.

Please let us know if this still shows problems. Also, please follow up
on the list if you are happy with the Hindi keyboard, as I can then
process those for the other Indian languages, and people can test them
out.

Regards,
Gora