My two cents on this question, since it affects also ubuntu-docviewer-
app.

Docviewer re-uses some classes from gallery-app to handle content-hub
import/export[1].
During an MP, it has been suggested to compare the MD5 checksum of the imported
document with the checksum of the existing document with the same name.
If they're the same, the app should finalize the transfer without creating a
new copy of the file.

It seems easy to achieve this with the C++ APIs, but I don't know how it
could work with the QML APIs.

However, I agree with Arto: while I was looking at this issue, I
expected that content-hub exposed the source path of a transfered file
through some function, since that would simplify a lot the management of
such critical scenarios.

[1], line 56:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-docviewer-dev/ubuntu-docviewer-app/trunk/view/head:/src/app/content-communicator.cpp

File Manager Developers, which is subscribed to Ubuntu File Manager App.

Title:
  Music files are imported into the Music app, rather than simply opened

Status in File Manager application for Ubuntu devices:
  New

Bug description:
  Currently the File Manager uses Content Hub to send audio files being
  "opened" to the Music app. However, the files are actually imported
  when sent via Content Hub. This causes duplicate entries of the files
  if they are "opened" from the user's Music directory. The imported
  files will get stored to the user's $HOME/Music/Imported/mm/dd/
  directory.

  It'd be better if the File Manager used the "file:///" URI handler
  when prompting the user to "Open with" the Music app.  Any use of
  Content Hub to send files to the Music app should be made clear that
  the action will import the song rather then just open the current
  location.