Kris,

On Thu, 2007-09-27 at 18:23 +0100, Kris Douglas wrote:

> On 27/09/2007, Chris Jones <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>         Hi
>
>         Kris Douglas wrote:
>         > No windows in the European union?
>
>         No it's just a very misguided suggestion that no PC should
>         ship with an
>         OS pre-installed.
>         It just means more pain for users and no gain for anyone
>         else.
>
>         Cheers,
>         --
>         Chris Jones
>           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>            www.canonical.com
>
>         --
>         ubuntu-uk@lists.ubuntu.com
>
> Agreed, but if you were in a situation where you needed a system that
> could connect to a domain and run an application that was associated
> with keeping customers money safe, would you spend ages installing an
> operating system, or would you go get a machine that had something
> installed and functioning correctly?

This argument works for any operating system! If I had a Linux
application doing a similar thing, I would want to buy client machines
that had Linux pre-installed and just worked.

But this is a circular argument. One reason companies go for Microsoft
based applications is that they can buy pre-installed clients that just
work. It's much harder to do for Linux. Somehow, the circle needs to be
broken!

Regards,
Tony.
E: [EMAIL PROTECTED], H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold