** Tony Travis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2007-10-03 02:03]:
> Paul Tansom wrote:
> > [...]
> > If you're wanting to have a play and/or are willing to take a risk (I've
> > not checked the status recently) I seem to remember that the Linux BIOS
> > project was able to run from a serial console. I keep thinking of trying
> > it myself, but haven't had the time or spare motherboard to experiment
> > with yet.
>
> Hello, Paul.
>
> Nice idea, but I'm too scared :-)
>
> I really can't afford to stuff up the BIOS on these servers!

Ditto, and my production servers are just a pair of Celeron 533 boxes!
 - just my business and the family to support, so perfectly adequate for
the job :) Since sending the email I've taken another look at their site
and there seems to be a very small number of tested motherboards, and
they seem to be from manufacturers like Tyan where you do wonder what
the benefit would be (bar ideological) since I believe this would
already be supported on many Tyan boards!

> >[...]
> > Any ideas how easy it is to do this using USB to USB? The traditional
> > serial console is likely to be replaced in the not to distant future. I
> > know it can be done, at least at one end, so probably at both. I've not
> > investigated the sort of USB cable required though - either just one
> > with the correct connections at each end, or a USB data transfer cable
> > (as used for laplink and the like).
>
> I'm the wrong person to ask about that, because I can't even get my USB
> to RS232 adapter working under Linux: I only use it under Windows XP...

I've not tried at all yet, although again, since my post, I've taken a
look around and been quite interested in some USB to multiple serial
ports cables that I've seen. That would do me for now given the age of
my existing hardware - although since they do support USB as well I
guess USB to USB would be the longer term solution :)

> I used an 'old' laptop with an RS232 port for this job previously, but I
> replaced it when its LCD display died. Having RS232 wasn't at the top of
> my list for a new laptop: Got an HP Pavilion dv5000 and a USB to RS232
> adapter instead!

Yes that's been on my todo list for a while, just never high enough to
actually do it. It is undoubtedly (in theory, ignoring unexpected
gotchas) fairly simple to do, but equally I've always found another way
around things (or been lucky enough to always have a spare monitor and
keyboard handy).
** end quote [Tony Travis]