Evening Alan

Books I'd like to see either in dead tree or eBook formats:

1.  A Windows User Guide to the Desktop - the MS way versus the vanilla
Ubuntu way leading onto how to customise in easy non command line steps to
make it look and feel like Windows. #### A subject tackled many times here,
but there's a market for it IMO.

2.  Ubuntu Guide To ....- where to get FF Plug Ins and what they do for
instance, some of the Forum tutorials for novices to geeks on vanilla
installations and most common alternatives

3.  Home Networking the Ubuntu Way - all the things like Mac has recently
touched on in his postings includeing a bit of back ground techy stuff

4.  Library of Ubuntu - A hard copy description of everything in the repos
includeing couple of paragraphs as to what it does, where to get it, and how
to get it., and it's alternatives

5.  The Family Ubuntu - top level stuff on Ubuntu and it's derivatives
includeing basic where to get them from, what they do, how they differ to
the others,  and what you would use them for

And more aimed at the glossy brochure type of thingy

A.  Case Studies in PLAIN non marketing / sales / management speak

B.  Techy brochure on what the various flavours of Ubuntu will run on,
minimum requirements, and drivers known to work well.

C.  An Easy Guide to dealing with a problem - ie how to work out if you have
a bug, where to go to and how to find out if anyone else has the bug, what
to do if it's not an app in the Ubuntu repos etc

Mind you, looking back on this list quite a few items are covered in some of
the existing books out there, but I'm a fanicaty so and so, and I like my
books in a certain style - card covered, monochrome text with relevant
screen shots / pictures, and an index that actually gets you to where you're
looking for info as well as a Glossary that is readable and understandable,
treats you as an English speaker and not just American, and above all else,
it's got to be CONSISTENT in it's approach throughout.

<Dismounts hobby horse>

Oh, and from a purely selfish point of view, a CD or link to a download so
that I can load the book onto my PC for future reference without the need to
lug those darn heavy books around.

Ian