Quoting from my 1979 Unix manual Brian W Kernigan (who is the K in awk) says 'there is nothing sacred about slashes' so you can do s?http://?https://? In other words 'any character can be used to delimit the pieces of the s command' It can save a lot of back slash escaping.

Tony

Thank you to everyone for their help. Part of the issue is that the offending text is massive and contains pretty much anything I could use as a delimiter. However I found a gui tool to do the job and the clean files are uploading now.

The only remaining question is how did it get there to begin with? It was present on the 4th September but not in mid August.