Michael - it is standard practice for you to respond to the list not direct
to your responder.
The reason for this is so others can follow the thread and perhaps learn
and/or contribute.

In what follows I have assumed your printer is connected direct to your
ubuntu device or across wifi.  If your printer is connected direct to your
router then there could be router issues.

First, let us determine that your system is up to date.  Inside a terminal
issue the command sudo apt update followed by sudo apt upgrade.  Those 2
commands will bring us to the latest state.
Next  establish whether cups is installed.
Best way is to issue this command inside a terminal session
sudo apt install cups

Your system will either respond "cups is already the newest version....."
or it will say it is not installed or not at the newest version

 If it is not installed then issue the command sudo apt install cups.  If
you install cups - best to shutdown system and reboot.  Try printing after
reboot.

If cups is installed then issue these commands

sudo apt-get install cups --reinstall
sudo service cups restart

Then try printing again.

If none of the above works establish whether you have a
/atc/cups/cupsd.conf file
 and if not issue these commands
sudo cp /usr/share/cups/cupsd.conf.default /etc/cups/cupsd.conf
sudo service cups restart

Hope that helps.