I solved the problem by downgrading xserver-xorg-input-synaptics to the
previous version via synaptic (Package-Menu->Force version). I had to unmark
the package after the downgrade to prevent from being immediately upgraded
again.
To really lock the version of the package I used "Apt-Pinning".

I added the following lines to /etc/apt/preferences:

Package: xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
Pin: version 0.99.3-2ubuntu4
Pin-Priority: 1000

--
Touchpad gets stuck and is generally unresponsive
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in ubuntu.