Hi Bryce,

I tested this on Karmic and I have good and bad news.

The good news is that X no longer needs to be started with the VGA cable
plugged in for the monitor to be detected.

The bad news is that when something gets fixed, something else breaks.
There are a few regressions which do not make gnome-display-properties
usable.

Regressions:
1 - Series of popups due to #2
2 - Not able to mirror screen any longer
3 - Not able to ALT-grab window so that I can click OK ("gconftool-2 --set
/apps/compiz/plugins/move/allscreens/options/constrain_y --type bool 0" should
be a default setting as I think it was in Jaunty.
4 - Identify monitor is ALWAYS on (top left corner) when
gnome-display-properties is open. See presentation picture for an example of
why this is bad. (recommend we make this a tick box or an Identify Button -
mac-like)

--
[i915] Jaunty - Intel video is not hot-pluggable
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in ubuntu.