Switched to Ubuntu classic (no unity, it's same gnome shell as previous
Ubuntu release had) and it's been working fine (no compiz either), no
crashes for more than a week.

BTW I remember similar problems with Intel driver (same machine) before
when I had compiz effects enabled. Now it seems much worse though, it
used to happen occasionally, maybe once a week, now it happens every day
(not sure if it's after every wake up but close).

  [i965] idle black screen plus other issues Ubuntu 11.04