Okay, so I did some testing, and it looks like one of the updates in the past
few days fixed the X crashing. Also, I did not experience any crashing or
hanging anymore after testing some native Linux 3D applications.
What however remains is wine failing on any attempt to run a non-native 3D
application, with the following scenarios (in order of probabiltiy):
1) Immediate GLXBadDrawable, wine exits
2) The usual sequence of "WINED3DFMT_A8R8G8B8" and similar error messages (as
above) followed by a GLXBadDrawable + exit.
3) The usual "WINED3DFMT_A8R8G8B8" plus wine displaying an empty window frame,
the should-be 3D content missing, manual CTRL+C to exit.

I also installed a separate karmic with the Xorg edgers PPA for testing,
there X actually crashes like before.

Now, out of the blue (I have no experience in graphics related stuff), isn't it
that some color format is simply not implemented in the driver (at least
concerning the "WINED3DFMT_A8R8G8B8" errors)?
And concerning the GLXBadDrawable which are observable also with
xserver-xorg-video-ati and possibly other drivers, is there any way to get
additional debug information?

--
[GM45] 3D application fail to run through Wine and often crash X
which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-video-intel in ubuntu.