@Alberto: I think your point would be very valid if the hardware that
was very old too. But in Lucid, I got full 3D effects using the
nvidia-173 driver, in Maverick, I had to downgrade to nvidia-96, and in
Natty, there's seems to be no way to get 3D neither in Ubuntu Classic or
Unity. Maybe I'm spoilt but I've actually gotten used to Linux and
Ubuntu supporting older hardware (also older than this) and and I don't
like the thought of ripping out my perfectly functional GeForce 7300 to
save me a second of boot time since it's anyway never going to work with
my favourite OS again.

Does anybody have experience with this graphics card and other drivers
than nvidia-96? Any tricks I could use when I can't seem to make it work
with nvidia-173 or nvidia-current?

which is subscribed to nvidia-graphics-drivers-173 in Ubuntu.

  [natty] nvidia binary packages for older cards - dependencies not met