Speaking to the jitter, I haven't looked into it but a couple of
possiblities come to mind. First, the new driver changes the way the
data is reported, and perhaps the data is higher resolution and more
sensitive. It was also using different code on the X server side of
things, so something in there could have an effect as well.

> Also, one more question. Except for jitter, things work fine for me on
> E6410, except that tap settings are reset after resume. Is this
> something that driver is responsible for, or it's up for userland to
> reset those settings?

What tap settings are you referring to? If they're properties of the
Xorg "Synaptics TouchPad" device or something found in the mouse
pereferences, those are userland and don't involve the driver at all.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-synaptics in Ubuntu.

  Alps touchpad is recognized but synaptics clients and scrolling do not
  work