Public bug reported:

Binary package hint: xorg

After dist-upgrading today on , X flickers and is unusable any time any
object on the screen is painted.  Opening the main menu from the panel
causes the entire screen to flicker for around a second.  Switching
desktops or opening/closing/moving a window causes similar behavior.

The flickering appears to be parts of the screen being briefly updated
in the wrong place; it's much like a jerky shift of halves or quarters
of the screen to the wrong position very briefly.

Deactivating compiz does not seem to change this behavior.

The graphics controller is:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS,
943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML
Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)

I've attached a video of an example of the effect captured from my
phone.  (I apologize for the poor quality of the video, but it gives a
sample of the effect.)  In the video I have opened the main menu and
then switched to another virtual desktop.  However the same effect
happens during nearly any screen update -- every character I type right
now in this bug report is causing a brief nauseating flash.

ProblemType: Bug
Architecture: amd64