I ran lscpi |grep VGA & got:
     01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon RV100 QY
[Radeon 7000/VE]

This bug appears to have some similar aspects to the following 11.04 bug
reports:

So far, my experience has been that the mouse pointer is invisible in
around three out of every four boot attempts, and rebooting (sometimes
multiple times) eventually results in a visible cursor.  I believe we
have an example of the dreaded intermittent problem here.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-evdev in Ubuntu.

  Mouse pointer becomes invisible in most windows