Sorry, actually this problem still occurs from time to time, even with
the last version of VMWare (8.0.2 build-591240)

Anyway, somehow, I do not like the fact that a third party app like VMWare
player/workstation can disturb the handling of my keyboard this way.  I
understand that a Windows guest VM also need to achieve key repeat, but this
should not affect the host indeed.
Perhaps we should make the mechanism default to the opposite state (after all,
it's enabled by default on Windows) so it would remain enabled when things
start to go out of sync between the Host Desktop and a VMWare session.

which is subscribed to xserver-xorg-input-keyboard in Ubuntu.

  Key repeat is disabled intermittently