Upgraded to from Ubuntu 11.10 to 12.04 on my HP 6710b laptop (Intel
integrated graphics, naturally) and I was immediately hit by this upon
opening the application switcher with Alt-Tab (I don't use the default
application switcher, ccsm reminds me that the one I use is the Static
Application Switcher; by the way, I use Unity and haven't tried Unity
2D). As soon as the application switcher opened, the first time all the
squares (window previews and application icons) were black and a couple
of seconds later the display lost all input. The second and third times
I can't remember what happened with those squares. The fourth time (just
now, intentionally) they all appeared as white squares with RGB rainbow
fuzz around the edges. In all cases (whether the switcher was shown
briefly or Alt-Tab held down), the display panel lost input a couple of
seconds later.

Also in all cases Alt+SysRq+REISUB worked for me (it has been a
pleasantly long time since I have had recourse to the sequence, sadly
now broken by this), but the graphics driver was completely dead (so no
Ctrl+Alt+F1 terminal, etc.).

This is to me (to put it mildly) rather an important issue. I've already
caused it twice more intentionally, once accidentally and *almost* done
it by accident a couple of times in this present session; fortunately I
have the popup window delay set to 0.05, so it doesn't immediately pop
up the switcher window which makes it die. I'll try the default
application switcher after submitting this comment and see what happens
with it.

If you want more information from me, just ask and I'll provide it*.

(* Conditions apply. Of course.)

  [i965gm] GPU lockup  render.IPEHR: 0x02000004