Ben Gamari - I agree with everything you've said and thank you so much
for your proactive work in identifying and fixing this issue.  I would
be incredibly grateful for any sort of assistance in fixing this - a PPA
with the build you described would be fantastic - by tomorrow, even?
Sir, you are a god among, um, fellow Ubuntu users.  Heck, I'd be
impressed if you'd said next week.  Seriously - anytime you have the
time to do this given nothing seems to be being done officially would be
fantastic in my book.  :)

  [i965gm] GPU lockup  render.IPEHR: 0x02000004